One of the intricacies of Rural Health Billing is that services are billed to Medicare with a Revenue Code.  When dealing with Revenue Codes there are two things that are important to keep in mind:


1)      Each Revenue Code serves its own purpose.

2)      Revenue Codes cannot be interchanged with one another.


When billings RHC Services to Medicare the total charges are “Rolled Up” into a Revenue Code in order to bill on the UB04 Form.  The Revenue Code 521 is most commonly used however the appropriate Revenue Code is based on the “place of service” you are billing for. Please see below for a Revenue Code table provided by the National Association of Rural Health Clinics. If you have additional questions on Revenue Codes or Rural Health Billing, please contact one of our RHC Billing Specialists at   or 919-570-6001.

Revenue Codes


Rural Health Billing and Revenue Codes